Arhoolie foundation project.

I thought George B-N's comments on 24 bit, which is primarily to increase signal to noise- in other words, level were interesting, considering we are trying to save so much with a dynamic range in the 25-45 db range.

This whole thread comes out of a response from Harvard's engineer who seems to have infinite $$.  Many of the respondents are answering at the same financial level.  It's pretty impractical for most, but supports my point, posted to the AV and Sound-L listserves about using 44.1 and 16 bit for oldies.

The only advantage to using the higher number 88.2, divisible by 2, not 96K which either leaves more fractions when brought down to 44.1 or rules out using the cheap compact disc recorder at all, is that the processing occurs with fewer fractional numbers before coming back down to 44.1.

The matter of test standards against another, known source is tempting but may be digital storage space and studio time overkill, especially for lower fidelity stuff.  Perhaps recording a test for each batch would make it more practical.

With all the hundreds of small operations with the dire need to preserve older folk and other audio recordings, I think what we're looking for is "the greatest good for the greatest number," rather than "the greatest great for the few using the highest numbers."

Speaking of which, I've been buying white-surface CD media at about $ .40.  There are deals all over the web.  The strange part is the jewel boxes are up to $ .25 or .30 with shipping- they're heavy and experience breakage in transit, and the insert cards.  The cost of the package is up to and will sureley soon exceed that of even the better media.

Steve Smolian

-----