Re: arsclist Transferring reel-to-reel recordings to CD or digital format . . .

Lynn,

I'll let others discuss the companies that can do this but in general I'd like to mention some things that are obvious but bear repeating:

This is the last time these tapes will probably be played so make sure they are played in the ultimate quality
  - use the best machine available
  - align that machine for azimuth and EQ
  - make sure you use hardware decoders for any noise processing
    (if you hear artifacts -- or can measure some -- try a different
     decoder. I've had bad dbx and Dolby decoders over the years)
  - Prepare the tape properly (does any of it need baking?)

Then remember as you undertake the analog to digital transfer that these tapes may represent the highest-quality sound source you've yet digitized (widest frequency response, lowest noise) as compared to disks. To keep this in perspective, most LPs from the 50's on were made from tape. Therefore use the best A-to-D converters you have access to. Again, trust your ears...especially in A-B comparisons between the original source material and the digitized copy.

Oh yes, listen carefully...did I say that already? One of THE MOST ANNOYING things that I found is that the original transfer can have anomalies that creep in (mostly from junk that gets between the tape and the head) which can manifest itself by subtle high-frequency loss perhaps even in one channel and dropouts. The best way to fix this is to go back and transfer.

There is no instrument that will tell you this has happened (well if you carefully watch a 2-channel spectrum analyzer you might pick this up), but in my opinion there is no substitute for non-distracted-by-other-concerns listening to the transfer by someone who knows good sound.

There are some anomalies that are easily fixed by retransferring that cannot be easily fixed later in the computer.

Good luck! 450 tapes is a large project for one person. In my experience, I'd be hard pressed to do two albums-worth (a bit under an hour) completely in a day...and even then, I like to live with and listen several times to the first CDRs and see if I missed a dropout or something doesn't sound right.

Oh, and don't trust a musician to pick up the technical errors of the transfer--my experience indicates that musicians are not sensitive to the same things that engineers are sensitive to. We need both types of listening for many things, but for the transfer it's the engineering listening that we need.

Cheers,

Richard