Transferring reel-to-reel recordings to CD or digital format . . .

Our music lab has a collection of between 400 and 450 reel-to-reel recordings of university band, orchestra, and choir performances.  I would like to archive these recordings by transferring them to CD or digital format.  I am aware of techniques used for transferring records and tapes to CD/digital format.  Would reel-to-reel transfer require any special equipment?  Are there any companies out there that specialize in the process?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Lynn Calhoun
Music/Multimedia Librarian
Pendergraft Library and Technology Center
Arkansas Tech University
Room 209
Russellville, AR  72801

Phone: (501) 964-0584