RE:Re-evaluating Tape Stock for Mastering

I have posted these questions on the AV  Media Matters list - so apologies
for those of you on that list. I am hoping to get a great deal of feedback
on this.

For ARCHIVAL applications:

We have been using Quantegy 632 non-back coated stock and wanted to hear
what experiences other people are having with tape stocks for mastering
1/4" open reel / pancake for very high quality musical material.

In particular Quantegy vs. BASF vs.?(who else is making professional
stock these days?)

Comments on back coating vs. non-back coating. Our rationale for using
non-back coating is the tremendous problems we have seen with back coat
failure, and no back coat eliminates that issue  - AND  we can't really
figure out what the real value of backcoat is anyhow these days. Does
this logic hold?

Comments regarding 1.5 mil vs 1.0 mil relating to print through and
other performance characteristics of base film thickness. i.e. with the
new PET basefilm stocks being used is 1.5 REALLY that much better then
1.0 mil these days. Is there really a reason to use 1.5 mil for 1/4"?

Any feedback on storing as pancake vs. NAB metal reels? We have been
thinking about storing as pancake with a micro-chamber acid free paper
between tape pack and shipper backing as scavenger for any out gassing
that may not have been lost in curing process. I happen to be a big fan
of the old 3m black plastic shippers - comments on other containers for
long term storage?

Any comments on current binder systems - are they REALLY that different.
Performance v. Longevity in actual practice.

Any bad experiences with recent stocks other then the usual occasional
bad batches.

Abrasivity issues?

All feedback welcome.
thanks
jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services
Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@xxxxxxxxxx