Re: Questions about open reel decks

Morgan Hamilton Lang mhl21@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote to the ARSClist:
> Note that these questions come to me from a co-worker, David, whose
> e-mail address is den12@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Please send replies to him.

> 1 - Considering that we have a pile of tapes that were made on an older
> machine, would it make a big difference to be able to bias, eq, and
> adjust the heads in order to get a standard setup for a collection made
> on a particular machine?
No.  The recording has already been made and bias and eq have already
been applied by the original machine.  Your concerns should be to set
the equalization of the playback machine to the NAB standard, presuming
North American origins (or whatever standard the original tapes were
recorded to, possibly CCIR if European origin).
Then you must adjust the azimuth to match EACH tape you want to transfer
unless you know they were all made on the same machine and under the
same conditions of adjustment (as rare as hen's teeth!).

> 2 - Re: squeaky tapes -- can all machines handle this equally?
Not necessarily.  Those with all rotating guides are a help.

> What else can one do if it squeaks?
There are two predominent reasons for tape squeal and separate methods
of dealing with each:

1.  Dried out lubricant in the oxide formulation
Re-lubricate the tape if possible.  This requires appropriate machinery
and chemistry... not recommended for the faint at heart.

2.  Sticky-shed syndrome
See the article on Baking of Magnetic tape on my website.

http://www.audio-restoration.com/baking.htm

> 3 - Considering that if we get an Otari, we will be recording our analog
> dubs on an old Nag(ra), is it worth it, or should we just get two
> Tascams and hope for the best re: alignment for specific recording
> collections?
The age of a machine is of little importance... what is critical is its
mechanical alignment and electronic set-up.  Tensions that are way out
of adjustment will destroy a tape and THAT is usually NOT fixable.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.