Questions about open reel decks

Hi Listers:

Note that these questions come to me from a co-worker, David, whose
e-mail address is den12@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Please send replies to him.

Thanks,

MHL

1 - Considering that we have a pile of tapes that were made on an older
machine, would it make a big difference to be able to bias, eq, and
adjust
the heads in order to get a standard setup for a collection made on a
particular machine?

2 - Re: squeaky tapes -- can all machines handle this equally?  What
else
can one do if it squeaks?

3 - Considering that if we get an Otari, we will be recording our analog
dubs on an old Nag(ra), is it worth it, or should we just get two
Tascams
and hope for the best re: alignment for specific recording collections?

den12@xxxxxxxxxxxx