Re: Re[2]: arsclist CD-DA versus CD-Rom (.wav) for archiving

Hello,

I was shocked to see the conclusion that a data format should be
better ("in the long term"??) than an audio format. Hence I would
subscribe to the approach of Peter Copeland ("Peter") and Mark
Tolleson.

I do not believe that anything done today need not be transferred or
converted in a foreseeable future. Hence a format which provides
the greatest functionality and still retains all the audio data is
preferable. Today that is the audio CD-format (if you can afford it) or
CD-R (audio).

However, "We are interested primarily in preserving the music."
was the introducing statement in Jean-Pierre's original discussion
item. Now, this calls for a precise consideration of what is actually
"the music". Is it a signal taken "straight" (and please, what is
that??) from a lacquer (acetate) or Gallotone record or from tapes?
Is it a signal obtained from the above by editing, such as noise
reduction? No transfer project should apply for funding or start
before a clear and well-argued policy on the very fundamental
replay matters has been defined. And control measures must be
instituted to see that internal rules are adhered to. This is the only
way that traceability can be obtained.

A preservation effort cannot take responsibility for anything that is
not defined. If the music is the primary interest, then a transfer
which will optimise the preservation of that (optimised according to
present-day standards, mind you!) will not optimise the
preservation of ancillary information (such as annotations on the
carrier or sleeve/box or background noises in the signal itself).
Future potential users of the material should be kept in mind. And
as far as possible, the originals must be given a healthy
environment.

There may exist situations in which the above would seem very
ivory towery. Such situations would be those where it is a question
of retaining at least a trace of a lot of items, rather than saving in
first-class quality only a handful. I would go for variety ("breadth")
rather than quality, if this kind of compromise has to be made.

The ethical aspects of sound archiving and of transfer - from media
to media - are not yet well understood. In all cases that involve an
analog transfer there is a possibility for voluntary or involuntary
manipulation. The manipulations occur as the result of the
adjustment of equipment (or on the internal circuits in the
equipment). One requirement must be that the manipulation is
conscious - and well argued.

I do hope that I have opened a can of worms!

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics