Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

wet press

A dewatering unit on the Fourdrinier papermaking machine, situated between the sheet-forming equipment and the driers. It uses pressure, or a combination of pressure and suction to remove water from the wet web before it reaches the driers. The press consists of pressure nips, each formed by a pair of heavy rollers. One of each pair is usually covered with rubber and may be perforated and fitted with an internal suction device which further reduces the amount of water in the web. The paper web is carried through the nip of each wet press on a FELT (2) , which itself, being both bulky and porous, absorbs and thus removes water from the paper. (17 )

[Search all CoOL documents]