Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


The heading of a chapter or section of a manuscript or printed book written or printed in red. The term is also used at times with reference to borders, underlined words on title pages, etc., of books of the 16th and 17th centuries, although this usage would better be called ruled in red. A book having rubrics is said to be "rubricated" and the rubrication is done by a "rubricator" or "rubrisher." (69 , 165 )

[Search all CoOL documents]