Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


A type of SPRING-BACK consisting of a thin strip of millboard that is wetted and glued to a strip of paper that is wrapped around it. Both are then rolled to the shape of the spine of the text block. If the book is unusually thick, two boards are used, the outer one being cut slightly wider than the inner so as to compensate for the larger arc it must transverse. The "shoulders" of the rolled-back are formed before the glue hardens. (99 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://