Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

pull-off box

See illustration

A simple or elaborate bookshaped box designed primarily to hold a book, but also used to contain pamphlets, manuscripts, etc. Occasionally it opens at the side or front, but it more often consists of two separate parts, one telescoping over the other, hence its name. In its most elaborate form, it often has a rounded back (spine) with raised bands, projecting squares, a leather covering, and possibly one or more spring catches. When properly constructed, it provides nearly air-tight protection. The book is generally provided with a separate wrapper. Also called "pull-off case" or "pull-off cover," and frequently, though incorrectly, a SOLANDER BOX .

[Search all CoOL documents]