Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

outer joint

The grooves in the covering material at which the boards open. Also called (outer) hinge. The term "joint" is sometimes used to indicate the ridge or abutment formed by the backing operation to accommodate the boards; however, this ridge is more appropriately referred to as theSHOULDER(S) (1) of the book. See also: FRENCH JOINT . (237 )

[Search all CoOL documents]