Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. The long, slender, round steel instruments pointed at one end and with an eyelet at the other and through which the thread passes. They are used to carry the thread through paper or cloth in sewing a book through the folds. The eyelet should be designed so as not to cut the thread and yet allow it to pass freely through the holes made in paper or cloth. 2. The special straight, curved, spiral and/or hollow needles used in machines which sew through the folds of sections, through the side of a pile of leaves, or in lacing sheets together. Most of these needles have the eyelet at the pointed end or carry the thread through the hollow. (183 , 256 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://