Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

mottled edges

A form of edge decoration produced by daubing color lightly over the edges of a book, generally by means of a sponge which leaves its natural markings on the edges. The edges may be colored over first, or the mottling may be applied directly to the white edges. Red and black are frequently used combinations. Mottled edges are found mainly on large blankbooks but seldom on letterpress bindings. (256 )

[Search all CoOL documents]