Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


A variegated effect produced on the surface of a material, such as paper; by the addition of heavily dyed fibers, called mottling fibers, to the papermaking stock. Mottled papers are used for endpapers, pattern papers, cover papers, and other kinds of decorative papers. (17 )

[Search all CoOL documents]