Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


An old term applied to papers of various types which have a well closed, even formation and a high finish, and which are particularly suitable for writing purposes. The term derives from the practice of counting into quires and then folding the pack. When it became the practice to deliver writing papers unfolded, they were called "flats." Today the term is usually restricted to papers such as tablet paper, as well as to paper with a smooth, flat finish as distinguished from bond finish. (197 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://