Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. The movable guide attachment of a card or board cutter that controls the location and extent of the cut. See also: BACK GAUGE . 2. The thin cards placed between the boards and fly leaves of a book to prevent marking by the turn-ins or tongue of the split boards when pressing, and also, in books having excessive swell after sewing, to facilitate smashing without "throwing out" the sections at the spine. See also:PRESSING TINS (2) . 3. An endpaper of a blankbook. (145 , 256 , 276 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://