Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A strong, heavy, durable cotton fabric in twill weave, used as a base for certain grades of imitation leather, and sometimes finished for use as a covering material for very large books, e.g., blankbooks. 2. To make a round hole in paper for the purpose of overcasting or side sewing, usually by means of a high-speed drill. The term also applies to making holes in paper for loose-leaf, spiral, or similar type of binding. 3. A hand- or power-drill for making holes in book paper, binder's board, etc. (183 , 256 ).

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://