Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

double-tone ink

A printing ink consisting of a mixture of an oil-soluble dye. a stable body pigment of a different color, and a medium. Such inks are used for the printing of halftones when a gravure effect is desired. The halftone is actually printed in the usual manner; however, sometime later overtones appear on the print, due to the dye of the ink spreading as a halo around the printed dots forming the image. Paper finish and tone also affect the result. (140 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://