Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

dandy roll

A light skeleton roll or cylinder, covered with wire gauze, which exerts light pressure on the wet web of paper at a point near the first suction box. Its purpose is to mark the sheet (web) with a design carried on the surface of the roll, either to produce a wove or laid effect in the web, or, when letters, figures, or other devices are worked in wires on the surface of the roll, a WATERMARK .

In the latter case, the roll is known as a watermarking dandy. Originally, the dandy roll was driven by the Fourdrinier wire, but with the development of higher speed papermaking machines, it became the practice to drive the dandy roll separately in order to eliminate drag which would result in distortion of the watermark. Plain dandy rolls are now used extensively to level the surface of the web and improve or assist in sheet formation. See also: LAID MOLD . (17 , 98 , 189 , 365 )

[Search all CoOL documents]