Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

"Cobb" paper

A paper named after Thomas Cobb, an English papermaker, who introduced it about 1800. The paper is thin, finely textured, wove, and generally somewhat drab in color, and subject to considerable stretching when wet. During the first half of the 19th century it was used extensively for the covers of "boarded" books, and large quantities were used for the endpapers of economy leather bindings in the last half of the 19th century. (94 , 236 , 371 )

[Search all CoOL documents]