Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

binder's ticket

A small engraved or printed label, usually found on the upper outside corner of one of the front flyleaves, giving the name (and usually the address) of the bookbinder. Tickets were used from the early 18th century until about 1825, but were not often seen in England until about 1780. The use of the ticket gave way to the practice by binders of lettering their names in gilt, blind, or ink, usually on the bottom turn-in of either upper or lower board. This record was sometimes referred to as a "name pallet." A variation of the ticket, usually printed, was used by some edition binders during the 19th century, and was usually located on the inside tail edge of the lower cover. (69 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://