Re: Flattening Nylon net

Hi all,

I learnt to always fold the fabric loosely into as large a square as to still fit flat into the bottom of the beaker / bain marie etc. and hold it in place with loose stitches.  For the stitches I would choose a Polyester thread as that won't absorb any dye which could influence your results.  You still end up with the fold lines, but at least no 'wrinkly mess'.  Make sure, though, that the stitches aren't too tight, otherwise you'll get uneven distribution of dye stuff, i.e. patchy results.  The folding itself doesn't appear to cause uneven results, with Nylon Net being such a loose construction: the dyestuff still seems to get right in there.

To reduce the fold lines I do what has already been suggested: i.e. keeping the temperature of the dye bath as low as possible and then ironing and storing on a roller.

Best wishes & good luck,

Kim Thüsing
Textile Conservator
Amgueddfa Cymru: National Museum Wales