Solvent cleaning

My name is Daphne Reijs and I am Textile Conservation student at the University of Amsterdam.
For my thesis I am doing research on the 'best' conservation treatment for archaeological textiles.

By doing all kind of cleaning and drying tests and making SEM pictures i am hoping to see what the treatments do to the textiles and what treatments are good to use for archaeologists.

I have done some tests allready, but i have a little trouble finding literature about solvent cleaning.
There are some articles written about solvent cleaning, but it's hard to find out what solvent (solutions) are used to do this.
Can anyone help me and tell me what solvents they use and in which ratio?

The material I looked at with the SEM machine, showed that there was a lot of Pyrite between the fiber (iron sulphide).
Because i think the iron should go out of the fibers, i also want to see if a chelating agent can help getting the pyrite out.
Does anyone have experience useing chelating agents to get iron sulphides out?

Thanks for the help!

With kind regards,

Daphne Reijs

Alle tips en trics. Ontdek nu de nieuwe Windows Live