From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of scurtis
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:29 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: effects of sulfuryl fluoride on textiles

Dear list,

I am posting this question for a colleague. What are the concerns in fumigating historic textiles with sulfuryl fluoride?  Her note with the details is below:

[I volunteer with a local historical society and have been working with them on improving the storage of their textile collection (mostly costume) in an old barn (think, no HVAC, humidity controls). They are going to tent fumigate for termites and asked me if they should do something special with the collection. My first reaction was to remove everything, but that’s not very practical. Is there an adverse effect on textiles that are in acid free boxes? The exterminator is going to fumigate with sulfuryl fluoride (Vikane)]

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Susan Curtis
Collections Manager