Re: Suppliers for mechanism to store rolled textiles

At the Australian War Memorial we have an extensive collection of large flat textiles including many flags. The racking we use to store the rolled textiles, is a relatively simple and inexpensive system, that can be constructed by a local metal fabricator to any size.

The structure is basically a metal frame with lengths of chain hung from each end. The textiles are rolled on to cardboard tubes, wooden dowels are inserted through the tubes and hung from each end to the chains on the rack.  If you want the system to be wood free you could easily substitute the dowel for metal pipe.

As a picture is much easier to understand I have taken some photographs of our racks and written some notes on them.

 hangingrolls 001 w text.bmp              end view.bmp

hangingrolls 004 (Small) hook detail.bmp

This is also an easy system to use as the racks are light and movable. It is also easy to access the individual textiles as you simply unhook the front of the dowel and slide the roll off.

I hope this information is useful. If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Jessie Firth

Textile Conservator

Australian War Memorial

Ph: (02) 6243 4421