rescue of textiles with fuel (diesel) film

I am working on general guidelines for desaster response for the Swiss Government. We are a joint team with the firemen asociation, the civil protection agency for cultural property of our government and conservators with experience in desaster response.
At the moment we are discussing what should be done with objects in general (and textiles in particular) when there is a fuel film present on water. We all agree that - as long as the objects are submerged in the water, the  fuel is on the surface. So with some kind of "binder"  - in a practical context of collections e.g. towels or paper - the film should be removed / reduced before rescuing the submerged objects.
But what should be done with objects having a fuel film on them as the water was pumped off and the film was able to get "stuck" to objects?
Would such a fuel film be visible at all on the object?
How could it be removed on site? Should it be removed on site?
What happens if such an object dries with the fuel film in place? Will the fuel evaporate with virtually no residues left in place? Can the fuel resudues be removed later?

As in many cases of lager desasters, there are fuel tanks leaking: would we have to assume that all objects are affected?
Or can this problem be neglected all together because of the relatively high evaporation rate of fuel?  in gerenal or only as long as there is not a substantial fuel problem?

I welcome any comments, experiences (good and bad) as well as maybe second thoughts you had (long) after something similar happend to your collection and you now can observe (long term) behaviour of affected objects.
If you prefer, you are welcome to send me your thought off-line. I will summarize the offline comments for the list.

Sincerely,

Karin von Lerber
--

16 Jahre Atelier für Textilkonservierung 10 Jahre Ideen für Museen

Prev art GmbH - Atelier für Textilkonservierung

CH - 8405 Winterthur // Oberseenerstrasse 93 // Tel. + 41 (0)52 233 12 54 // Fax + 41 (0)52 233 12 57
e-mail karin.vonlerber@xxxxxxxxxx // www.prevart.ch //
www.museumspraxis.org