UV fluorescent light

A person who collects vintage fabrics says that she can date fabric by using a fluorescent UV light. According to her certain threads [her term for yarn/fiber] not made until the 1960s fluoresce under the UV light. I have no idea if she has a chart which tells how these fibers appear or react to UV so that she knows what fiber is.

I had not heard of this before as a microscope seems to be the most accurate  tool for identification.

Just wondering if any of you experts know more about this subject and exactly what UV exposes.

Thanx,
Joan.