Re: life span of vinyl fabric - Beilstein test

Thank you very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of D NISHIMURA
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 11:31 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: life span of vinyl fabric - Beilstein test

 I should add that while just about every conservator I run into thinks
of the Beilstein test as being specific to chlorinated organics, it's
actually more general than that and covers organics containing chlorine,
bromine, and iodine, although the only halogen that we tend to run into
in common polymers in conservation is chlorine. I'm not sure that a
candle gets hot enough for the test, but I have run into people who have
done it butane lighters (though not a very convenient way to do the
test.) The test depends on the formation of volatile copper halide
produced when an organic halide is strongly heated with copper oxide.
False positives may  occur in the presence of things like quinolines,
urea, and pyridine derivatives since all of these will produce volatile
copper cyanide (which produces a blue-green flame).

See for example, Pasto, D. J. and C. R. Johnson, Laboratory Text for
Organic Chemistry: a source book of chemical and physical techniques,
Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1979. pp 330-331

-Doug
Douglas Nishimura
Senior Research Scientist
Image Permanence Institute