Conservation Issues with Early Rayons

I am a textile conservation student at the University of Alberta.  For my master's thesis I am conducting a research study on the condition of women's garments from the 1920s and 1930s made wholly or partly of cuprammonium and viscose rayons. The objective of this study will be to develop techniques of identifying rayon and to determine whether early rayons have specific conservation issues at this time.

I would be interested in hearing your experiences with these early regenerated cellulose fibres.  Have you treated artifacts made of these fibres? What sorts of problems have you seen?  Have you seen interesting use-wear damage, shrinkage etc.? Have you wet-cleaned them? And if so, was it successful? Were shrinkage or fugitive dyes a problem?

I am in the process of developing a form for the survey. Anticipating some of the issues I might come across even before the pilot study would be helpful and all contributions will be acknowledged.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts,

Clare Lewarne

MSc. Candidate, Textiles and Clothing

Department of Human Ecology

University of Alberta