SUBJECT: Forum on Thangkas, ICOM-CC Conference, New Delhi, Sept 2008

Hello:
Please note that a 2.5 hour session entitled A Forum Discussion on the Conservation of Thangkasis currently being organized during the ICOM-CC Triennial Conference in New Delhi, September 22-26 2008. The session is a joint initiative of 3 ICOM-CC Working Groups: Textiles, Paintings and Ethnographic Collections.

The aim is to formal / informal presentations of up to 15 minutes on thangka conservation projects, thangka treatment case studies or material studies, or ethical issues involved with thangka conservation. The talks would be followed by a question period and forum discussion open to all in attendance.  The idea is to provide an informal venue for people interested in this topic, to get to know each other, ask questions and share ideas. Given that the location of the conference is New Delhi, we especially wish to provide an opportunity to hear the viewpoints of Indian and Asian experts.

We welcome your suggestions and proposals. If you are interested, or if you know someone who may be interested, please contact us to discuss your ideas. We would appreciate receiving a short (250 words) summary of your proposal, a title, and a short biography, by June 20th 2008 if possible. Thank you!

On behalf of the Coordinators of the ICOM-CC Working Groups on Ethnographic Collections, on Textiles, and on Paintings:

Carole Dignard ( carole_dignard@xxxxxxxxx )
Mary Ballard ( ballardm@xxxxxx )
and Tiarna Doherty ( TDoherty@xxxxxxxxx )

Mary W. Ballard

Senior Textiles Conservator,

Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution

4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.

tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709

email ballardm@xxxxxx