Re: Baumann unilargo II polyester fabric

Dear Ann,

I use Baumann fabrics almost exclusively for mounts and have found the range of colors and weaves to be very satisfactory. However I have had one experience of a sharp vinegar-y smell offgassing from the fabric when unrolled from the shipping tube.  Letters sent to the Baumann Switzland mill by Harry Persaud of Creation Baumann/Carnegie fabrics in NY revealed that an acetic acid-based finishing wash had been added to set the dyes.

I have hesitated to respond to your query because I haven't been able to find the response from the mill forwarded to me or to recall if it was a Unisono or a Unilargo fabric.  Under any circumstance a soaking bath is recommended before using the fabric, which can be awkward with a large length.  I'll certainly pass on the details relating to this matter when I find them.

Best regards,

Jane Hammond
Conservator in Private Practice

Adjunct Textile Conservator
The Intermuseum Conservation Association
Cleveland, Ohio