Re: Textile displaying

At the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation museums we do include light sensitive media in our “permanent” exhibits, including paper, textiles, and occasionally plastics. Our approach has been to keep light levels as low as practical (if the walls are dark we can get away with 30-40 lux) and rotate object by object after a year or so for moderately sensitive items.

Items deemed to be super-sensitive now might get motion activated (ie visitor activated) lights – we have some that tie into individual fixtures. We’ve been getting estimates of amount of time the lights are on by means of time clocks attached to the motion activated circuits and find that we are using less than half of the time with lights on, averaging many days including high visitation. We’ve also begun using LIDO strips to get an estimate of lux-hours that objects are exposed to. These time/lux estimates combined with colors readings of the objects are beginning to give us a basis for discussions such as “what is acceptable change to this object?”

Recent discussions within the Exhibit Management group are yielding much better understanding of the time-weighted nature of lighting. We are open 7 days a week, 9 hours per day. The motion activated lights are a powerful tool in reducing handling of collections – we are hoping to change out objects as required instead of by rote.

Stefan Michalski’s work on assessing object sensitivity to light is extremely useful in moving away from a “just say no” approach to exhibiting collections.

Patricia Silence

Conservator of Exhibits

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

P.O. Box 1776