Re: Umbrella Storage

Please “reply to all” when you reply because Megan Oleska is not on the list. Thanks!

Mary W. Ballard

Senior Textiles Conservator,

Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution

4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.

tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709

email ballardm@xxxxxx

A question late in the day...

I have just come across 2 red cloth umbrellas that were used in parades in the 1920s.  They are uncoated and likely used for decoration or sun protection rather than for use in the rain.  Unfortunately, they have not been stored very well and the cloth is very wrinkled, but otherwise appear to be in good shape.  I have not attempted opening the umbrellas yet as I wanted to hear from the "experts" before proceeding.  What is the best way to store cloth umbrellas?  Should they be stored opened or closed?  Tissue interleaving in the folds?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Megan

Collections Manager
The FASNY Museum of Firefighting