New Wool Yarn Source

Hi everyone:

I recently learned of a new source for wool yarns – this is especially welcome since Medici is no longer available and I’ve heard some complaints that the quality of Appleton’s has declined.  The yarns are available from

Langley Threads and Pearsalls Embroidery

18, Heathway

Cardiff CF14 4JT  UK

+44 2920 633353

langleythreads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The owner of the company is John Cunningham, who has dyed the silk yarns for Pearsalls for the last eight years.  He has since purchased the company and started the new lines of wool yarns.  There are currently two weights of two-ply wool yarns, “standard” which is similar to Appleton in weight (14/2) and “fine” which is softer than but similar to Medici (21/2).  He is experimenting with a “superfine” 40/2 which he will produce if there is enough demand.  There is an American distributor for stock shades of the fine yarns who will soon be offering them on her web site at www.tristanbrooks.com.  The stock shades comprise thirty shades with nine depths of shade for each color; I don’t believe that shade cards are available yet.  John will also custom dye any of his yarns, and his minimum requirements are very reasonable.  You can contact him directly to enquire about this.

I have samples of the wool yarns and they are very nice, especially the superfine.  I encourage you to look into these and support this business that fills an important need in our field,

Deborah

Deborah Bede

Stillwater Textile Conservation Studio, LLC

Bradford NH 03221

(603) 938-2310

(603) 938-2455 fax

stillwaterstudio@xxxxxxxxxxx