Plastics Thank You

Thanks to all who replied to my question about melted plastic.  I see that I am not alone!  For those who inquired further, I am working on a batik with contact film ironed on the back.  The areas where the adhesive was the only thing holding the film came off pretty easily.  However, there are other areas where the iron was held too long, melting the plastic into the textile.  The dye is not extremely stable, which has caused problems with solvents.  It is stable with some and less than stable with others.  Acetone fumes seemed promising, but after a trial run we found the plastic had become even more difficult to remove.  We tried dry ice, but that didn't help at all.  Heat melts the plastic even further into the textile.  This is probably a familiar story to many of you.
  Thank you again for your sympathies and advice.  We'll keep trying.

Jennifer

Jennifer Hadley
Collections Care
Museum of Church History and Art