Re: Sand in Display Cases

I asked about the sand in display cases to our object conservators.  Here are two suggestions from them.  Sunae

“Perhaps they could wash and filter it first and then let it dry so that only the larger grains are there and not such fine stuff as might make dust.”

“I think washing it is a good idea too.  The other thing to think about is trying to get larger grains or course sand to start with since the larger the particles are the less likely they are to get blown around and imbed in the textiles.”

From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Polly Willman
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 9:25 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Sand in Display Cases

I am working  on an exhibit  of swuimsuits (1890's to 1970's).  The older suits, of course, are  made of natural fibers (silk, cotton and wool knits); the modern suits of synthetic fibers (nylon and spandex).  They will be displayed  on ethaform forms and the dressed forms set into standard  closed musuem cases.  No part of the costume will be  in contact with the case decks.

The exhibit designer intends on covering the case decks with sand, simulating a beach setting.  Has anyone encountered  this choice of material before?  Perhaps those of you working  in natural history museums?  What were the issues/concerns you  had to deal with in respect to the artifacts?  (I can only imagine the maintenance/cleaning problems....)   Is there a particular type of sand that should be used?  Should the sand be "processed" in some manner (e.g., sterilzed)?  Or should sand be eliminated  altogether?

Any thoughts you have will be appreciated. Thanks.