Re: Seed Pearls

Many pearlescent beads, sequins, and buttons  that I have analysed by IR spectroscopy are composed of glass or gelatin coated with cellulose nitrate containing pearlescent pigments.  None of the objects analysed were seed beads, and I do not know if seed beads would have similar composition.

Scott Williams
Senior Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Canadian Conservation Institute