air pillows for padding for storage

Hi all,
After the American Quilters Society show ended here, someone brought me the "sausages" that were used when a quilt was shipped to the show, suggesting that they would last a long time and be great for long term quilt storage padding here at the museum.  These sausages were muslin tubes filled with the plastic air pillows used for shipping, each pillow about 4 1/2" x 8".  The pillows are made by Storopack and are of polyethylene film.

An interesting solution.  However, for long-term storage I don't see this as viable.  Most importantly the pillows don't compress so you'd have to compress the quilt in the box to make room for the pillows.  In other words, you'd sacrifice the artifact for the storage material.

Is anyone using such storage materials?  Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Judy Schwender
Curator of Collections / Registrar
Museum of the American Quilter's Society
215 Jefferson Street
Paducah, KY 42001
(270) 442-8856 ext. 30

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.