From: Jennifer BARNETT [mailto:jcbarnett@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 February 2007 22:12
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: drying twist test in fibre identification

Dear colleagues,

Today a group of students and I went about carrying out the drying twist test on linen and hemp fibres, following the method described in "Identification of textile fibres", The Textile Institute, 1985, 7th edition

Make a fibre thoroughly wet then remove excess water with a tissue. Grasp one end with the tweezers and hold the free end over the heat source (in this case, a hot plate). Observe the movement of the fibre by pointing the free end directly towards you.
results
• clockwise
- linen, ramie and nettle
• anticlockwise
- hemp and most other fibres
• alternating clockwise and anticlockwise
- cotton

Our results: two different linen samples repeatedly twisted anti-clockwise while the one hemp sample (identified by the Neocarmine W stain test) twisted clockwise. Cotton performed as to be expected. So many contrary reactions (particularly with the linen) would seem to cause doubts as to the accuracy of the described expected result. Could this book possibly be wrong? Could there be other factors at play? Any other thoughts?

Not having any other references to hand in which this method is mentioned, I hope someone has another source for this test to check the expected direction of twist for linen and hemp.

With thanks,

Jennifer Barnett

Regina Textilia
historic textiles conservation, research and consultancy

Route de Dancé
FR - 42260 Bully
tel/fax * 33 (0)4 77 65 20 11

Vivien Chapman
Head of Organics Conservation
National Museums Liverpool
Tel: 0151 478 4841
Fax: 0151 478 4990

Visit the family exhibition 'Shipwrecked - can you escape the island?' at the Merseyside Maritime Museum until 20 May 2007.

www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

National Museums Liverpool Legal Disclaimer:
This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error please take no action based upon any information contained within it and delete it immediately without retaining a copy.

WARNING: This email has been checked by National Museums Liverpool for the presence of computer viruses.
However, National Museums Liverpool will not accept any liability and all recipients are advised to carry out their own virus checks upon receipt.

National Museums Liverpool,  Textiles & Organics,  National Conservation Centre, MGD Building, Whitechapel,  Liverpool,  L1 6HZ  United Kingdom