Re: Bridge to reach the centre of large textiles

If you hav a really large object and are considering working on the
floor anyhow, I had great success resting a side piece of a scafolding
(which looks like a ladder, but is much more stable) on two trolleys
used to move boxes. We tied the scafolding to the trollies.

Colleagues working on a lent veil for over a year had a similar bridge
constructed which was built to be so perfectly in balance, that by
pulling on a rope-system they could move the bridge on some sort of
tracks without any difficulty. For details contact Diane Lanz:
diane.lanz@xxxxxxx

However, I fully agree with the concerns about physical restrictions to
work on a bridge for long periods. If I do so, I do not kneel, but lay
on my stomach (which after some time makes your face swell...).

Karin.
--
Karin von Lerber
Prevart GmbH

Sarah C. Stevens schrieb:
At Peebles Island in upstate New York, we have bridge to span our large
flags and reach the center. The bridge was made in-house and rests on
two saw horses that can be adjusted for height. The bridge itself is
made of four 10 foot lengths of 2x4s connected in pairs. The pairs have
about a 6" space between them to see 'through' the bridge and
then both ends of the pairs are secured with a small platform. With pads
in the right spots, I am able to lie down on the bridge to work and can
see directly below me and off to both sides. I have tried to attach some
pictures, but please contact me if they don't come through and I can
send them to you directly.

I would like to reiterate Paul's concerns about the length of time one
can/should spend on a bridge. I have found that I can only work up to an
hour at a time before my head becomes fuzzy in addition to the stiffness
of being prone for that long. And getting on and off the bridge can also
be a tricky maneuver, especially with a fragile object just below.

good luck,
Sarah C. Stevens
Associate Textile Conservator
NYS Bureau of Historic Sites
P.O. Box 219
Waterford, NY 12188
518-237-8643 x3277
Sarah.Stevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Sarah.Stevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

------------------------------------------------------------------------ *From:* Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Nicole Rode *Sent:* Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:58 AM *To:* TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *Subject:* Bridge to reach the centre of large textiles

Dear All,

    We are looking to buy or commission a bridge in order to reach the
    centre of large, flat textiles more comfortably/safely during
    treatments. We are looking for a design quite flexible regarding
    length, as our space, like most studios, is constantly changing
    depending on what objects we have in.

    Before I decide on anything, I am interested to know what other
    studios have set up to deal with this problem. Even if its just a
    plank of wood with pillows  lying across two benches, does anyone
    have any tips or ingenious design solutions that make it more
    comfortable, flexible, pleasant to work from?

    Any information you can offer regarding design and/or suppliers will
    be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Nicole.

Nicole Rode

Organics Conservator

Dept. of Conservation, Documentation and Science

The British Museum

38-56 Orsman Rd.

London, N1 5QJ

0207 323 8087

nrode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nrode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--

*Middle East Now*

Until 3 September

    Experience the vibrancy, richness and complexity of the cultures of
    the modern Middle East through art, film, performance and debate:

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/middleeastnow

*Subscribe to the British Museum's online newsletter Mercury*

    and never miss out on any events, exhibitions, films or study
    opportunities:

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/index.html

    http://www.eset.com