Re: Bridge to reach the centre of large textiles

There basically are no comfortable ways to work, on your knees, for long periods of time on any sort of movable plank.  I believe the painting conservators use a bridge, but the basic problem of being on those knees, puting all of that stress on your back is just doomed for failure.  the solution is to work very short length of times, and work on other projects which would actually relax the back.  This is a very dificult problem and I worked with it for years, and came up with no solution and a ruptured disc.  Regards Paul Czubay

From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nicole Rode
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:58 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bridge to reach the centre of large textiles

Dear All,

We are looking to buy or commission a bridge in order to reach the centre of large, flat textiles more comfortably/safely during treatments. We are looking for a design quite flexible regarding length, as our space, like most studios, is constantly changing depending on what objects we have in.

Before I decide on anything, I am interested to know what other studios have set up to deal with this problem. Even if its just a plank of wood with pillows  lying across two benches, does anyone have any tips or ingenious design solutions that make it more comfortable, flexiblepleasant to work from?

Any information you can offer regarding design and/or suppliers will be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Nicole.

Nicole Rode

Organics Conservator

Dept. of Conservation, Documentation and Science

The British Museum

38-56 Orsman Rd.

London, N1 5QJ

0207 323 8087

nrode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--

Middle East Now

Until 3 September

Experience the vibrancy, richness and complexity of the cultures of the modern Middle East through art, film, performance and debate:

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/middleeastnow

Subscribe to the British Museum's online newsletter Mercury

and never miss out on any events, exhibitions, films or study opportunities:

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/index.html

http://www.eset.com