Consultant - The AIDS Memorial Quilt

From: Teresa Hollingsworth [mailto:teresah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:00 AM
Subject: Recommendations for consultant - The AIDS Memorial Quilt

I'm writing in search of recommendations for a textile conservator/collections manager on behalf of The NAMES Project Foundation/The AIDS Memorial Quilt (housed in Atlanta). The Quilt recently received a Save America's Treasures grant/designation. This large task requires, obviously, a very special person-someone who understands and appreciates the cultural significance of The Quilt, and the on-going efforts to provide AIDS education and fight this horrible disease. The conservator must also work with NAMES Project Foundation staff (which includes one key individual who is extremely dedicated, but is reluctant to embrace change). Another challenge is that The Quilt is an artifact that is constantly in use (public displays, mostly in non-museum settings), thus not a "museum piece."

This funding will allow them to contract a conservator/collections manager to assist them with the following:

·         Assess the entire collection

·         Create a collections management plan that includes standards and guidelines for in-house handling and display

·         Review current maintenance and repair methodology and practices

·         Prepare condition reports

·         Offer recommendations for care and conservation of The Quilt

·         Staff training

·         etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving out several points, but I think you get the idea. I'd appreciate it if you would not forward this e-mail to others, but respond directly to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your thoughtful consideration.

Best,

Teresa Hollingsworth

Traditional Arts Manager

Southern Arts Federation