History of polypropylene fibers/brushes

Dear All,

FTIR analysis has identified polypropylene brush fibers embedded in
the surface of a questioned painting purported to date to the 1950s.
The literature I have had an opportunity to review indicates that
polypropylene was synthesized in 1954 and produced commercially in 1957.

I have not been able yet to determine when the polymer was first
produced as a fiber for use in paint brushes.  Before I begin a
patent search, and knowing that we conservators and scientists can
tend to be a curious bunch, I am writing to ask if anyone has studied
the history of paint brushes or polypropylene fibers.

With thanks,

Jamie

James Martin
Orion Analytical, LLC