Re: naval kite-balloon, car with windscreen

Catherine de Bantel
Friday, March 10, 2006
Subject: naval kite-balloon, car with windscreen

Hello Textile list serve readers, Catherine, Jerry...
A few years ago I treated a fire damaged leather trunk with a wood and metal framework with hardened blistered leather. It had similar problems so that my treatment consisted of backed adhesive fabrics to stabilize. The initial problem was humidification insitu.
I agree to follow Jerry's lead with his humidification but try to localize the humidifications.

I tried to humidify and treat only the upright horizontals then shift the direction of the 3D object.
a) I used mylar or poyethylene lplastics as a barrier and thick blotter wet with a lubricant to different percentages as the humidification control. You need to monitor the effect but if it is localized it is much easier to control.
b) Start testing on the poorest area if small tests are done.
c) Then begin treatments on the mid range condition areas first.
d) Try to stabilize the poor condition areas with matt board supports and mini clamps onto the wicker frame.
e) Try a combination of all three to get the required results. A 3-D object has more humidification issues.
f) I would also design a secondary box support underneath the open areas, that can be supported without putting weight on the other side.

Jerry had said: >
> You could make a simple structure out of plastic,
> and use some sort of humidifier to slowly increase the humidity level. The > biggest challenge in this process is control, especially as your ambient temperatures change. Household humidifiers with automatic controls are very likely to have very large variations in maintained humidity. As well, a regular humidifier cannot reduce humidity if needed for tight control.

> If you wish any assistance, please feel free to contact either of us. Best of Luck on your project.
>
> js
> Jerry ShinerKeepafe Systems /Microclimate
> Technologies Internationalwww.keepsafe.ca www.microclimate. ca   jshiner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 683
> 4696 ext 701  +1 416 703-4696

--Jennifer Hein, conservatour@xxxxxxx /
Preservation Consultant
Conservator of Historic Textiles, Leather & Ethnography
PO Box 90379, Indianapolis, IN 46290