bread cleaning and aftereffects

Hello conservators,

I was going to write YOU to thank you. I was going crazy with all the
recipes
being offered. I felt 100 times better after I read your posting b/c I
thought I
was the only one in the world that thought it was a crazy idea.

I do definitely remember a professor of heritage conservation telling me that decades ago, the inner parts of bread were used to clean frescoes. And his next phrase was: "That is not done anymore, because it resulted in heavy problems with mould growth on the paintings." I will never forget - it was in an examination, and that cleaning with bread could be done at all was utterly new to me : / So maybe it would be a good idea to look for publications on the aftereffects of cleaning with bread on paintings before trying it on textiles?

Best greetings,
Katrin

--

Katrin Kania M.A. - Buckenhofer Weg 54 - 91058 Erlangen - Germany
tel. +49-(0)9131-816665