Textile conservation in China

I have just returned from China touring textile collections with Zhao
Feng from the National Silk Museum.  From what I could see, China's
textile conservation facilities are quite undeveloped - treatment,
storage and display techniques are not yet informed by best practice in
the West - especially for archaeological textiles.  A project is coming
together to help out with education and design of textile conservation
labs in China.  One idea is to have a textile conservation center in
Hangzhou that can also serve as a model and training center for other
museums.  Travel and exchanges would also be part of a program.  The
need is imperative and the conservators we met in China are keenly
aware of it and eager to collaborate.

If anyone has an interest in this, more light to shed on the situation,
or suggestions - and especially if you speak Mandarin - please contact
me.

David Walker
Talisman Restoration, Inc
719 Swift St. #5