Re: Freezing of wet textiles

The article by Shawn Gardner Fischer "The Effect of Freeze-Drying on
Selected Properties of Wool Fabric"  in the AIC Textile Specialty Group
Postprints Volume 8, 1998, compares the resulting properties of wool
that was  'submerged in de-ionized water and either air-dried, frozen
and air-dried, or frozen and freeze-dried'.  She concludes that there
was 'at least some fiber surface damage in all frozen samples' and that
'The benefits of stabilization by freezing should be weighed against the
possibility of fiber surface damage.'.
The article has an extensive bibliography. I believe Ms. Gardner
Fischer won an award for the work related to the article.
I can send you a copy if you like.

Joanne Hackett
Associate Textile Conservator
Indianapolis Museum of Art.

>>> karin.vonlerber@xxxxxxxxxx 10/25/2005 9:23:24 AM >>>
During recovery work after the floods in Switzerland there was a
controversial discussion about the possible negative effects of
freezing
wet textiles. The concerns were that ice crystals will grow inside the
fibres and cause damage. Fortunately at that point of the disussion
clean water became available again; we therefore continued rincing and
air drying the textiles, and freezing the textiles to avoid mold
outbreak on the muddy wet textiles in order to gain time became
unnecessary.
Nevertheless, I would like to find out if there are any articles about
research concerning the effect of freezing on wet textiles. I am well
aware of  the publications dealing with freezing as a pest control
method and its effects on (dry) textiles. What I am looking for,
however, is information on the effect of freezing (not only
freeze-drying) on textile fibres when textiles are completely soaked.
am also aware that freezing is done rather frequently when block
salvaging textiles and is recommended on many internet based
recovery-information sites. But I am not aware of any scientific
research demonstrating what is actually going on during the freezing
process. I welcome any information or comment.

Karin von Lerber

--
Karin von Lerber
Prevart GmbH