Re: lanolin

Dear Shirley,

Your question was forwarded to me.
When wool fiber is processed for use in manufacturing wool carpets and rugs, it is thoroughly scoured to remove impurities as well as lanolin. The standard is that the finished, cleaned wool must contain less than .5%. The reason is that too much lanolin would contribute to resoiling, something that would not be tolerated by the end user.
Therefore one would not want to add lanolin to wool after it has been cleaned.

Regards,
Geoff Greeley

Geoffrey R. Greeley
Director of Marketing & Training
HOST/Racine Industries, Inc.
800-558-9439
ggreeley@xxxxxxxxxxx

Shirley Ellis wrote:
Does anyone know of any literature about adding lanolin back to wool
textiles (after washing)?  Inherently I feel this is not a good thing,
as I doubt it would go back into the wool fibres and instead would sit
on the surface, eventually becoming sticky.  Landi says something to
that effect but does anyone know of anything else about this?

shirley ellis