From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joan Kiplinger
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 2:25 PM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: treatments for fragile silk taffeta

        Deborah -- Thank you for clearing up that bit of advice. As the message was obviously an intended personal one, I thought it might be a bit of humor between friends but one never knows.

Deborah Bede wrote:
I really hope that suggestion to use Elmers was a joke.  For any list readers who are not sure, Elmer's is not an archival adhesive!

If you are not personally trained by a professional textile conservator who is very experienced in adhesive treatments for textiles, do not do them.  There are many variables that cannot be mastered by reading a few articles, and adhesive treatments have great potential for damage to the textile.

I would recommend you refer this job to someone who has experience with this type of treatment.

Deborah Bede